April 9, 2009

Edges

I've made up some small trial samples, to try different ways of finishing the edges of stone rectangles. (Each small rectangle piece is about 1.5 x 2".) The top is a pillowcase binding; middle is hand-sewn edging, half with hand-dyed thread from Laura Wasilowski, half a double strand of plain khaki (most visible on the bottom edge); the bottom is a 1/8" binding, which is straighter than it looks in this photo! Click on the photo to see close-ups. I'm inclining towards center or bottom versions. Any thoughts?

The quilting: I'm planning on hand-quilting, in the ditch. The bottom two are a little to the side of the ditch, because I ironed the seams open on these, not thinking about the quilting.

1 comment:

  1. Penny,

    I really like pillowcase edge (top one) -- it gives me the sense of the edge of a stone, where the eye defines the edge because it cannot see the rest. Also I think it fits in with the smoothness and linear-ness of the rectangles. Makes we think of well worn stones.

    ReplyDelete