April 2, 2012

Mod Mosaic--done!

I am pleased with how this quilt turned out--a version of Elizabeth Hartman's Mod Mosaic pattern.  You can see 50+ other versions in the Mod Mosaic Flickr group.  I've written about this quilt previously here and here.  The second post describes my efforts to dye gray fabric for the binding, but in the end I decided to go with white, as it best unifies the quilt.  I was concerned about how dirty a white binding might get, but in this case, I went with design over practicality.  


It was fun to piece these fabrics together.

The quilting was done by Mary Walck on her longarm. 
For the back, I pieced together what I had left of the fabrics.  It's fun to see some of them full-scale, including bits of fabric design that I did not include on the front--like these spiders (left out entirely) and this rooster (cut so that it's not recognizable:














Peter and Maya, I'll be sending this off to you before long!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Penny! Just incredibly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of stained glass. I love it! Your idea to include pieces of fabric on the back that show patterns not seen on the "quilt" side is great!

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at the other postings on Flicker using Mod Mosaic and yours stands out as the most beautiful use of color and pattern, Penny. The front and the back are so pleasing to the eye in how you've used color. WELL done!

    ReplyDelete