September 3, 2017

Two wedding quilts finished


This summer I finished two wedding quilts, both of them for couples who were married last summer.  I spent the first half of 2016 preparing for my August exhibition, and ever since then, I've been spent most of my quilting time catching up on gifts for others.  The two quilts in this post are the final ones in the line-up. You can see earlier posts about this red and gray log cabin quilt here (earliest post at the bottom). I dyed some light gray fabric for the back, and used some of the same for binding.  I sent this quilt out to Mary Walck for long-arm quilting.  I had her do a diagonal wavy line, with circles scattered in every once in a while.   The detail photo on the left below is before washing.  The circles were more prominent that I wanted, so I decided to go ahead and wash it, to soften the look a bit, which shows in the 2nd photo.  If you double-click on the photo of the back, you'll be able to see the overall quilting design.






 The second wedding quilt was a four-patch posie pattern, done from a fabric with colorful swirls.  I used hand-dyed fabric for the sashing and cornerstones. At the time of the wedding last summer, I gave the couple a couple of cloth napkins from the fabric, as I had a half-yard extra, so they'll be able to see that all the blocks came from the one fabric. (The log-cabin couple got a pot holder made from one sample block.) I also incorporated a narrow rectangle of the original fabric is incorporated into the back of the quilt. I also gave this quilt to a long-armer to finish, with a simple meander design. Both of these quilts are a generous lap-size.


 Now that all the gifts are done, I'm taking a break, and just letting myself go wherever my inclinations take me.  For the last couple of days, I've been getting back into the Photoshop Elements class I'm taking with the Pixeladies, the 3rd course I've done with them. In this course I'll learn how to make repeat patterns out of a design motif, something I've been wanting to learn for a while.



1 comment:

  1. I'd say your vacation has been well deserved. Lovely quilt!!

    ReplyDelete